Different Types of Engagement
I’ve noticed what I think is a trend in the ways people engage with me on this site:
- If I write a short, focused post, or one with a clear call to action, it gets comments.
- If I write a controversial post, it gets trackbacks.
- If I write a long list or thorough analysis piece, it gets bookmarked or stumbled.
- Very few of my posts get dugg.
- Short posts are easy to get through in a minute or two, so commenting is relatively low-effort. Posts with a call to action, well, call you to action. Same result.
- Controversial posts provoke thought, after which people write their own posts.
- Long lists and analyses aren’t as easy to digest, so people save them and return to them later.
The question is, what makes a post digg-able?