What’s In Your Social Media Toolkit?

What's your social media toolkit?You can think of social media as a set of tools that organizations can use for a variety of purposes – customer service, branding, promotion, relationship-management, etc. Just as with any toolkit, you’re not going to use every tool every time.

Sometimes the hammer fits, but if you’re trying to measure something the hammer is pretty much useless. Similarly, sometimes a blog will fit perfectly, while other times YouTube might be a more suitable tool. Sometimes (say it ain’t so!) social media outreach won’t fit at all.

If social media represents a set of tools – what’s in your toolkit?

Over the last two years my online toolkit has shifted back and forth as tools have come and gone. Recently, however, I’ve noticed a bit more stability in the services I use. Is this a reflection of a slightly maturing marketplace? Or just of a tough economy?

Here’s my current toolkit. I use these tools pretty much every day:

What’s in your toolkit? What’s changed from a year ago?

38 Responses to “What’s In Your Social Media Toolkit?

• Nice list Dave. A couple of new ones I hadn’t heard of before. We use Yammer internally vs. Present.ly though I’m intrigued to understand Present.ly’s Twitter API capability and what that really means.

And thanks for the Radian6 shout out too.

Cheers. David

• I personally think its less about tools and more about approach, strategy and results. In fact I might suggest your toolkit’s overloaded.

• Really nice idea to call it the social media toolkit. Definitely given me some ideas for packaging this stuff in a nice, accessible way to people.

I’m also surprised to see how closely your toolkit matches mine! I haven’t used Radian6 yet but I was given a demo only a couple of days ago and was very impressed – I’m looking forward to playing with the trial version over the next week.

Plaxo looms large on my ‘To Do’ list. I’ve heard really great reports of it, particularly with regards to integration, and it’s probably the next toy I’ll play with.

The only thing I’d add to your toolkit would be bit.ly. It’s a URL cruncher that also enables you to track who clicked the link, and where they’re from. It’s experienced some flakiness recently – probably because it’s heavily used on Twitter and is experiencing some of Twitter’s growing pains by proxy – but, as a dashboard tool for identifying interest in links, it’s a great idea.

Oh, and Feedburner for RSS, right? Despite Google’s best attempts to ruin it, it’s the only game in town.

• Good list. I would also suggest that Tweetdeck is the Twitter tool of choice as it makes managing everything so much easier,especially now that there is Tweetdeck facebook integration.

• I can’t believe you didn’t use the oft-repeated social media toolkit blogpost phrase, “If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

• @clarkey Damn, another opportunity for cheese bites the dust. Don’t worry, I won’t drop the ball again :)

• Great list here! Why is Mixx and Reddit not on here? I love these sites!

• Interesting list, some new ones to try out here radian6 and plaxo seem worth a look. What about yahoo pipes for slicing and dicing feeds?

• Definitely tweetdeck. Also have begun to use ping.fm quite a bit.

Trackbacks & Pings

• styletime (Roger Byrne) :

What’s In Your Social Media Toolkit? [link to post]

• ahmednaguib (Ahmed Naguib) :

RT @styletime: What’s In Your Social Media Toolkit? [link to post]

• mistygirlph (misty) :

Twitter Comment

RT @ahmednaguib: RT @styletime: What’s In Your Social Media Toolkit? [link to post]

• mrrichardson (Matt Richardson) :

Twitter Comment

RT @khaled_ouanes: RT @styletime: What’s In Your Social Media Toolkit? [link to post]

• LaraInVT (lara) :

What’s In Your Social Media Toolkit? @styletime [link to post]

• dreammapper (Dream Mapper) :

What’s In Your Social Media Toolkit? | [link to post] | RT @alicam @styletime

• My Social Media Toolkit – Information Sources | RCC Graphic Designs :

[…] Fleet compiled a good list of online tools that make up his social media toolkit. I’d like to share my list with you which helps me keep […]

• simoncmason (simoncmason) :

Twitter Comment

#blogathon no 9 – [link to post] – some useful social media tools here.

• RichardKeyt (Richard Keyt) :

Twitter Comment

Social media is key for online markting. What’s In your social media toolkit? [link to post]

• PCC_Chicago (PublicityClubChicago) :

Twitter Comment

What’s In Your Social Media Toolkit? @davefleet shares his at [link to post]. Excellent.

• arikhanson (arikhanson) :

Twitter Comment

What’s in your SM toolkit? Me :Twitter, FB, Viddler, NetVibes, FlickR & others. @davefleet asks: [link to post] (thx @mikepilarz)

• kathyoreilly (kathyoreilly) :

• Oh_Bella (Ysobel Hamidjojo) :

Twitter Comment

RT @kathyoreilly : Good read “What’s in your social media toolkit?” from davefleet.com [link to post]

• thedodgeretort (John Dodge) :

Twitter Comment

What’s In Your Social Media Toolkit? I have about 60% the same as Dave Fleet. [link to post]

• conniecrosby (Connie Crosby) :

Twitter Comment

@davefleet Congrats on writing Social Media Today’s post of the week! [link to post] How do you keep producing the “hits”? Well done.

• TwitLinksRSS (TwitLinksRSS) :

Twitter Comment

What’s In Your Social Media Toolkit? | davefleet.com: You can think of social media as a set of tools that.. [link to post]

• hoado (TU Communications) :

Twitter Comment

RT @davefleet Oooh this post was Social Media Today’s post of the week?! *blush* [link to post]

• BeccaRL (Rebecca Lalez) :

Twitter Comment

RT @TomPickWhat’s In Your Social Media Toolkit? Excellent post from @davefleet – [link to post]

• BeccaRL (Rebecca Lalez) :

Twitter Comment

RT @TomPick: What’s In Your Social Media Toolkit? Excellent post from @davefleet – [link to post]

• luxurymarketing (Ron & Alexandra) :

Twitter Comment

just read a guide on social media tool kit, great tips [link to post]

• richardlaksana (Richard Laksana) :

WhatÆs In Your Social Media Toolkit? | davefleet.com – [link to post]

• billives (BillIves) :

Twitter Comment

@davefleet social media tool kit looks good [link to post]

• willcoley (willcoley) :

RT @davefleet What’s In Your Social Media Toolkit? [link to post]

• jdarrah (Jas Darrah) :

Twitter Comment

Good post on SM tools: [link to post] To monitor I’d add Backtype, PostRank, scoutlabs, google blog srch

• loisgrider (loisgrider) :

Twitter Comment

Check out this blog to see if you can use it.
    [link to post]
    zyourwaytowealth.com

• How to get your idea shared: Or, going viral « People like to share :

[…] What’s In Your Social Media Toolkit? (davefleet.com) Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)The agency needs to be hackedThe New C-WordMake a Super Decision this Super Tuesday!Hey, failing companies! Listen up! […]

• MikeWhitmore (Mike Whitmore) :

RT @nicolefincham: What’s In Your Social Media Toolkit? [link to post]

Posted using Chat Catcher

• New Addition for Your Social Media Toolkit « Ashley Hall’s Blog :

[…] & Resources | Tags: Dave Fleet, MicroPlaza, Social media tools, Twitter | I recently read a post by Dave Fleet about what is currently in his social media “toolkit.” In this post, he […]

6 years ago
  • Sosiaalisen median työkalupakki | Yrittäjän verkkomarkkinointi :

[…] Kääntäjä ehdotti hakusanolla muutamia hauskoja helmiä. Suosittelisin lukemista myös alkuperäiskielellä Chris Brogan, Michael Fruchter ja Dave Fleet […]

6 years ago