One of the great things about working in the digital space right now is observing the many changes constantly occurring. This week, I had an opportunity to pull together some of the key social media trends I’m seeing for a presentation at an event in Waterloo.
Some of these trends are existing and ongoing; others are new. Some are practical; others are theoretical. Some are almost guaranteed; others may amount to momentary blips. Some ideas come from my head; others were curated by my colleagues Steve Rubel and David Armano.
Hopefully one or two of them will spark ideas for you.
I grouped the trends into five themes:
- Trend #1: Integration
- Trend #2: Social customer support
- Trend #3: Social impact drives reputation
- Maturation of social media
- Trend #4: Death of the campaign
- Trend #5: Consolidation
- Trend #6: ”Influence” matures
- Trend #7: Democratization of voice
- Trend #8: Return of websites
- Rise of the ‘less shiny object’
- Trend #9: Digitally driven crises
- Trend #10: Digital curation
- Trend #11: Strategic search
- Trend #12: Community management
- Trend #13: Developer engagement
- Trend #14: Measurement matures
- Trend #15: Rise of the content strategist
- Communication accelerates
- Trend #16: Listening becomes mandatory
- Trend #17: Marketing in streams
- Trend #18: Social media overload
- Ubiquitous mobile
- Trend #19: Ubiquitous social
- Trend #20: Location, location, Facebook
Bet you could add to this list. What do you think I’ve missed?